In the last couple weeks we have been slowly coming back up to speed in the home improvement arena as I have started to feel better. We have been trying to take it little bits at a time instead of biting off any big projects we might not be able to finish. One of those smallish projects we had been putting off was the kitchen lighting situation.
When we redid the whole ceiling in the house we had installed a temporary work light in the kitchen which hung precariously off its wires so that the texture could be put up. Turns out life gets crazy sometimes and what you think will be there for a few weeks maybe a few months can end up sticking around for a few years.
Yup that bad boy had been our only light source in the kitchen this whole time. A few weeks ago when one of the light bulbs burned out we really started realizing it was bad.
You might remember we were talking about doing a track lighting setup in the kitchen. Turns out it was going to be pretty expensive and it seemed like a daunting task with my energy level.
The problem was that our light in the kitchen was massively off centered in the room (why? who knows….). So simply swapping it out wasn’t going to work. But I still had five of these pretty things:
So because these were already setup as track lighting pendants we made a compromise and went with a basic bar track lighting setup which ran us under $20 and could be installed in under an hour.
This got us to this point:
What’s with the weird paper balls?
Well….turns out that red glass as pretty as it might be actually doesn’t emit much light at all. Since our goal was to be able to actually illuminate the room so that we could cook at night they were a bum deal. So the paper balls are there to keep us from being blinded from shadeless light bulbs until we can resolve this red problem.
Kevin insisted that the covers were red glass but I was so positive that they were just painted that I decided to do an experiment and try to remove the paint. Usually when this happens, especially when it comes to paint, I miserably fail and he is always right. But this time I scored!
A little bit of paint stripper dabbed on the top of the glass and let to sit for 30 minutes got me paint ribboning off of the perfectly transparent glass!
The next day I hauled all five of them outside and coated them with paint stripper. Unfortunately I did it on a super windy day and they dried out before I got back to them. That lead to less than ideal results on the first go around:
But I’m not worried at all, another coat (indoors this time) of the stripper and I am confident I will have a clean surface to work with. After that I plan to frost them and spray paint the wires and metal attachment plates oil rubbed bronze.
These old school track lighting kits aren’t exactly the prettiest things to look at, and it turns out we cut the hole in the drywall just a smidge too big so there is a small gap where the junction box is. So our plan is to build a lightweight wood cover box that will cover those large ugly converters at the top of each light. And I still need to shorten four of the five lights so they don’t have massive coils of wire on each one too. Then we can move the lights closer together also and decide if we want to keep all five or just go down to three.
So eventually it should look alot more like this crude photoshopped version:
Can’t wait to see it finished!