These garlicky chicken salad sweet potato bites are the perfect hearty gluten free appetizer. Roasting sweet potato rounds for the base is the perfect alternative to bread!
Are you as obsessed with roasted garlic as I am? I am pretty positive I could just bury my face in a bowl of roasted garlic, a good french baguette, cheese and some blackberry jam and die a happy life.
Garlic, olive oil, foil and a hot oven. This is the place where magic is made. Mouth puckering garlic melts into the holy grail of all spreads known to mankind.
I mix in an unreasonable amount of this garlic into this dish but I apparently am weird and my husband recommends starting with a fourth of my garlic needs and increasing from there. I’ll leave that one up to you.
Mix apples in or whatever fresh fruit sounds good, grapes are a great choice or toss in a few craisins for good measure.
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1-2 heads roasted garlic (start with a few cloves and work up, I REALLY love garlic hehe)
- ⅓ cup finely diced onion
- ⅓ cup finely diced apple
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- ½-1 teaspoons honey, to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Slice sweet potato with skin on into ¼ inch thick rounds. On a cookie sheet brush them thinly with olive oil and lightly salt. Roast at 400 degrees until browned and cooked through, about 20-25 minutes for the first side and about 10 minutes for the second side.
- Mix chicken, roasted garlic, onion, apple, almonds, greek yogurt, lemon juice and honey together. Add salt and pepper and adjust seasonings as necessary to your taste.