Remember last time we spoke? We were here:
Well the view is quite different now:
Needless to say we are thrilled with the outcome! We absolutely love all three of the colors and how everything turned out. We ran into a few snags with some runs on the bead board that slowed us down for a while, but with sanding and lots of elbow grease we are finally finished painting the kitchen!
With that behind us we quickly have moved to getting the countertops going. Our friend Doug who agreed to help us (and has been storing our countertops for weeks!) is preparing to be out of town for 6 weeks and we didn’t want to miss him!
It was with great glee that I pulled out this sink from the barn after longing for it for over a year.
Noah knows this is a big day
Good bye yellow chipped nastiness!
Kevin swoops in dashingly to remove the old sink…
I think he’s as excited as I am!
Next he unscrews everything…
And off it goes!
Noah decided it was fun to be a cowboy for the day…
We got the old counters off and the new counters picked up in time for our trusty help to arrive:
All setup… p.s. there’s a dishwasher in my house!!!
Doug is a fabulous retired cabinet maker and he has an exceptionally good saw setup so this seemed incredibly effortless.
Within a matter of minutes he measures, cuts and triple checks his work.
SO grateful we didn’t attempt this one alone!
Can you believe this is laminate?? I love it!
It’s very heavy and well made. Doug says these are much better made than what we would have gotten at Home Depot or Lowes and they were less than half the cost!
Putting in the holes for the biscuit joints.
Such a genius tool!
Doug then left us for the evening while we dealt with the cutout for the sink hole. Good thing too because it took us FOREVER.
We cut a template…
And used green Frog tape to mark the template onto the countertop.
Measure twice (or in our case 20 times) and cut once!
I drilled holes into the counter and Kevin jigsawed it out. We needed to actually leave the piece intact so the countertop maintained its rigidity but we couldn’t fit our jigsaw into the back so that cut will have to have the holding pieces removed by hand.
We found the process to be easiest with one person jigsawing and the other running the shop vac on the jigsaw and light to keep everything moving. At a certain spot the shop vac will suck up enough dust to actually keep cutting without having to blow or wipe it away constantly.
The next day after church they glued and positioned…
Today or tomorrow we will be bolting it to the cabinets and Doug is coming back with a fancy repair kit to make the seam look as seamless as possible.
Then the sink and dishwasher can go in!