Our secret Russian Tea Cakes recipe is never dry. It’s always declared to be the best snowball cookie they have ever eaten!
Dani’s notes: Kevin’s favorite cookie ever are Russian tea cakes (aka snowball cookies). As such I have heard endless requests for these cookies over the years. The only issue…I hate them. Let’s make that hated them. They were always dry and chalky and basically the least like a delicious cookie and it’s attributes that I could imagine.
I let Holli loose to make these for him this christmas season to help satisfy his requests and when I decided on a whim to taste one of them I was blown away. THIS is what a Russian tea cake should taste like. Delicious, buttery and melt in your mouth. Pro Tip: Keep an eye on the baking time and if they are dry back off your next batch by a few minutes.
We started making these amazing Russian Tea Cake cookies by taking the melted butter and creaming it with the sugar.
Grab the stand mixer and pour in the butter and powdered sugar and mix away.
Let’s just take a second to appreciate to beauty of stand mixers. I mean, I am definitely not doing this by hand!
Then add the flour and mix well. Make sure all the four is absorbed.
Add the finely chopped nuts and mix.
Now roll your dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an un-greased cookie sheet. Bake at 365 for 11 minutes or until they have plumped slightly. Remove cookies a place on cooling rack. Once cool to the touch roll each cookie in confectioners sugar and enjoy!
Thank you for supporting The Adventure Bite!
Even if you don’t buy the products shown, starting your Amazon shopping here helps our small family business survive. We earn a small commission from Amazon that helps keep this site running for free!
- 2 cup of butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (we prefer pecans)
- Topping Ideas:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup of mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup of crushed peppermint
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 365 and cream butter and powdered sugar in mixer.
- Add vanilla paste and mix.
- Add flour and salt. Add chopped nuts. Mix well.
- Roll into inch sized balls and place 12 balls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes the cookies will rise when done, do not brown.
- Place on a cooling rack. Cool for 5 minutes, then roll the cookies in powdered sugar until they are fully coated.
- Roll in other topping selection: crushed peppermint, shredded coconut, mini chocolate chips etc.
- Store in tupperware with parchment paper. Keeps for 1 week.