Before we moved in this is what the cabinets looked like. Someone had attempted to “prep” them….which meant we got to remove all their prep work.
After cleaning them thoroughly and removing all the doors and hardware we sanded, puttied the holes, sanded, cleaned and primed. Now if only that process was as easy as it is to type….
Kevin double checking the plastic tent and all the cabinets before spraying.
He’s ready to go!
Replacing an electrical outlet behind where the cabinets go while the paint dries.
Kevin sprayed the cabinets with two coats with touch up in between for drips (which happened a ton because we accidently used the wrong spray tip.
But they still turned out beautiful!
After a couple days Kevin and Jordan moved them back into place. (I was super preggo at the time).
After trying to reattach the homemade doors to the homemade cabinets for an entire day Kevin’s brother Alex informed me that I would be getting bottom doors only. The others were all so warped that they looked super strange once they were rehung with the new hinges.
The old hinges were so rusted out and covered with paint that we couldn’t salvage them. But for a little over $30 we got new hinges on eBay for the entire kitchen plus extra’s since the top doors didn’t go back on. This was a huge savings over Home Depot!
The door handles however were in perfect condition. But they were the wrong color.
After removing all the hardware I thoroughly cleaned it all in hot soapy water and let dry. I then rubbed down with deglosser and spray painted with Rustoluem’s Oil Rubbed Bronze paint.
They look great. Update: 7 month’s later they still look great and are holding up fabulous!
I used styrofoam to hold the screws but in hind sight painting them probably wasn’t necessary because you can’t see them at all from the front. Creature of habit I guess.
After Alex left we lived with open cabinets for several months. But since this is our only pantry area all of our food was visible and not entirely nice looking.
So we decided to cover them with burlap to help class up the look.
We contacted some of the coffee houses back in Bend and got some burlap sacks which Melanie (Kevin’s mom) sent to us in a care package.
Last week with Elisa’s help I finally got them hung! We decided that predrilling the holes made the most sense to try to prevent cracking….which still happened regardless but hopefully it helped.
We discovered that drilling through the wood and the cabinet first worked the best. So after leveling the piece she held tightly while I drilled through.
Then we located the drill holes and screwed through the wood just enough to see the tip of the screw. We didn’t want the screw to be visible so we rolled the burlap around the stick and then screwed through it from underneath the burlap. Unfortunately with both of us holding and tightening the screws no one could catch a photo.
I took some hemp twine and made beaded ties to hold the burlap up out of the way when we didn’t want to have to lift it out of the way all the time. We slid these on before we screwed the bags on so they wouldn’t slide off.
And they are finished!! We LOVE them! We still plan to add some wine glass holders and do some decorating with the tops of them and we will be share when we do that.
I particularly love that this one says Slow Food on it 🙂
Just a quick recap here’s the before: