1. Place bacon pieces in a large Dutch Oven or heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp and browned.
2. Remove bacon pieces and set aside, leaving some of the fat in the pot.
3. Add water and chopped onion and cook over medium heat until onions are cooked.
4. Add potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken broth and salt and pepper to the pot. Stir well.
5. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (roughly 30 minutes), stir regularly to prevent burning on the bottom.
6. Add milk and heavy cream. Cook 10 minutes. Stir.
7. Season to taste.
8. Top with additional bacon, cheddar cheese, or chives. Enjoy!
If a thicker soup is desired whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold milk until dissolved. Slowly whisk into the soup and cook an additional few minutes until thickened to desired consistency.