1. Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
2. Place apples and water in a thick-bottomed pot with a lid. Cook down apples adding water as needed to cook down into applesauce. Depending on the variety you may need more or less water to boil them.
3. Measure out approximately 4 cups of applesauce and return it to the pan. Reserve excess for eating later.
4. Add calcium water, lemon juice, vanilla bean (scrape interior with knife tip into pan, then add the whole bean as well) and spices, and mix thoroughly.
5. Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
6. Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jam comes back up to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
7. Cool and then store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.