1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Mix all ingredients above line together except flour.
3. Add flour cup by cup until the dough comes together enough to start pulling aside from the bowl.
4. Pour out onto a floured surface and knead, adding flour as you go to keep it smooth and not sticking to the table.
5. Knead for about 10 minutes.
6. Cover top of bread lightly with oil and cover. Allow to proof until dough has almost doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
7. Punch down.
8. Divide dough in half and then each half into 6 pieces for a total of 12 pieces. Try to make them as even as possible or weigh them to be equal.
9. Roll the pieces out til they are about 1 inch in diameter.
10. Pinch six braids together at the top and then braid. See Tammy's Recipe Braiding Vide
11. Gently transfer the braided challah to a greased cookie sheet and cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise again for about 30 minutes.
12. Use a pastry brush to coat the loaves with beaten egg. Top with poppy or sesame seeds if desired.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
14. *If using active dry yeast instead of instant yeast see Tammy's Recipe
for additional tips!