This summer watermelon salad with blackberries & blue cheese might sound like a strange combination but we top it with a splash of honey and lime juice. It’s weird sounding but magical tasting!
Summer is here in full force and it has been hot. Really hot. We’ve finally had the briefest reprieve the last two days and Kevin came home last night and was thrilled (and definitely surprised) to find me in the kitchen cooking a real dinner. Our neighbors let us borrow their tiny window AC unit and we have been camped out in the living room for the bulk of the day just hanging out and playing with trains, reading books and all around just trying to stay cool.
We are gearing up for some big changes in the blog this fall and I admit it is hard to balance the juggling act of all the work to be done and being a wife and momma. It’s so easy to spend my limited work time sucked into being a business owner and I often forget that my true love is being in the kitchen….tasting, testing and feeding people delicious food.
I’ve always struggled with being an over thinker, a worrier, a terrible procrastinator and tend to make simple things overly complex. This year I’ve really tried to focus on the simple basics. And when I do…life goes so much smoother. I breathe easier. The results I want happen.
This watermelon salad is one of those good simple things….summer fruit, honey, lime juice, a bit of mint and a crumbly blue cheese. Sweet, savory and so summer refreshing.
Here is to change and to keeping it simple.
- ¼ of a large watermelon cut into cubes
- 1 small container (6 oz) fresh blackberries
- ½ of a lime juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (to taste depending on how sweet your fruit is)
- 6-8 mint leaves, sliced thinly
- Toss all ingredients except honey and salt and pepper.
- Taste and add salt and pepper and honey to desired levels.
- Top with mint leaves and a sprinkle of extra blue cheese if desired for presentation.
- Serve immediately.