This easy tandoori chicken has no obscure ingredients or food coloring! Toss it in the marinade before work for an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner on the grill or stovetop.
This post is part of our ongoing collaboration with Nancy’s Yogurt.
I don’t know about you but I have a massive weakness for Thai and Indian food. I wasn’t raised eating either of them but I have become absolutely obsessed with them as an adult. But I don’t always want to drive to the big city or spend a bunch of money to get my fix so I have been trying my hand more and more with dishes we love at home.
True tandoori chicken is cooked on a super hot clay oven called a tandoor oven (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoor) which I don’t have hanging around, but grilling these up on the barbecue or a nice hot grill plate on the stovetop is a simple solution with delicious results.
We start the marinade with tangy Nancy’s organic whole milk yogurt, lemon juice and plenty of spices. The brilliant red color of many tandoori recipes comes from food coloring and a high addition of cayenne pepper neither of which worked since the kids were eating this too so this version is more brilliantly yellow. If you can handle the heat, you can increase your cayenne pepper to achieve a more red color.
Easy Tandoori Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into 4 strips each
- 1 cup Nancy’s Organic Whole Milk Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper optional
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Serve with naan bread rice, tzatziki sauce, lime and cilantro
- For Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 cucumber peeled and small diced
- ½ cup Nancy's Organic Whole Milk Yogurt
- juice of ½ a lemon to taste...start with ¼
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- cayenne pepper to taste if desired
- Combine all ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Marinate at least 1 hour and up to all day or overnight.
- Grill over a hot grill, a grill plate, or a hot skillet brushed with olive oil to help limit sticking. Cook 5 minutes each side or until nicely charred and cooked through.
- Combine ingredients for sauce.
- Serve with naan bread, rice, tzatziki sauce and plenty of lime and cilantro.
We are proud to be a brand ambassador of Nancy’s Yogurt. Their support helps us continue to bring you unique free content like this each and every week!