Mason jar gifts are super popular. These Brownies in a Jar are one of our favorite easy gifts to make for friends and coworkers!
This post is brought to you in collaboration with Nuts For Gifts. Our partners enable us to bring you gorgeous recipe content every week for free!
Every year, every single year I forget someone on my Christmas list. Without fail. I plan and I chart and I hound my family to make sure I am not missing anyone and every year I still have the last minute scramble to buy a sad little present I know is at the top of no one’s list.
No more! This year when the inevitable happened I calmly reached out for my recipe book and made these amazing little brownie in a jar mason jar gifts. They were a huge hit!
From now on every holiday season I am going to sit down and put together a dozen or so of these mason jar gifts to have tucked away for all my last minute gifting needs!
This recipe is a scaled down version of the best brownie recipe that I use for all my brownie making needs. It’s gooey, chocolate perfection. And it’s made with household staples so you have zero excuses not to whip up something chocolatey at a moments notice.
This time with the inspiration from our friends at Nuts For Gifts we swapped things up a bit and added nuts and dried fruit to the brownies. I am in love with this new addition! The dried fruit adds this bright pop of flavor and the nuts finish everything off with the perfect crunch.
I also love that these brownies in a jar are fantastic way to give the gift of freshly baked desserts to others without the timeline of everyone needing to eat them right away. I don’t know about you…but some years it feels like cookie plates are showing up on my desk every week during December and more cookies than I care to admit go into the trash.
But these little mason jar gifts can be stored for several months with no consequences and baked when the chocolate need strikes again!
All you need to make it cute is a mason jar and some twine to tie on whatever type of cover you prefer. We like burlap but you could use linen from an old pillow case or just about anything you want to cover these!
Layer your ingredients in neat lines and cover tightly with the lid. Add the recipe to the gift tag and then add your own personal message to the other side!
Baking these lovely brownies is just as easy as putting the brownie jars together.
Good thing too because these are so tasty you are going to want to make them again and again!
There aren’t even that many things to add to the mixing bowl, so you can get a big plate of brownies on the table in no time.
Dump the entire container out and add a bit of butter, an egg, some vanilla, and a bit of coffee or hot water.
Mix it all together and into the oven it goes!
I got such amazing positive feedback on these this year that I have a list of people who are asking for them for Christmas next year!
Brownies In A Jar Recipe
- For the jar:
- 1 pint sized mason jar
- 2/3 cup packed all purpose flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup cup nuts and dried fruit
- twine burlap, blank gift tag
- For the recipe:
- 4 tbsp butter softened
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp strong coffee or hot water
1. Start with a clean dry pint sized mason jar.
- 2. Added flour and lightly packed it down.
- 3. Added next layer of brown sugar, lightly packing that layer down
- 4. Mix white sugar, baking powder and salt together and add as the next layer. Pack the layer down lightly.
- 5. Add cocoa powder as the next layer, pack down lightly.
- 6. Add chocolate chips, nuts and dried fruit.
- 7. Close mason jar with lid tightly. Finish with burlap cloth and twine.
- 8. To decorate, fill out name tag and direction for baking, attach to jar with twine and enjoy!
- For Recipe:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Dump dry ingredients out of jar into a large mixing bowl.
- 3. Add butter, egg, vanilla and coffee or hot water.
- 4. Stir.
- 5. Place in a greased loaf pan.
- 6. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Enjoy!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in collaboration with Nuts For Gifts. Our partners enable us to bring you gorgeous recipe content every week for free!