Camping Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings are the ultimate comfort food when in the woods.
We can’t decide when we love having this delicious recipe more! Is it the first night, when we make this camping dutch oven chicken and dumplings for dinner? Or is it the leftovers that are inevitably left over to be consumed the next day.
Something about all those delicious flavors getting to seep into the delicious dumplings that makes it soooooo much better the next day.
We all like to sit together around the campfire and talk when we are cooking dinner. Hearing the stories of the day from the point of view of the kids is one of our favorite parts of the trip.
We laugh and talk while the food bubbles away over the fire. It’s a peaceful time that we all love to share that makes the memories we will all always treasure!
How to make chicken and dumplings?
When making camping dutch oven chicken and dumplings, start by combining cooked shredded chicken, onion, carrots, and celery in a large pot, then season to taste. Then bring to a boil gently and add dumplings to the broth. Cook about 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
How to make dumplings for chicken and dumplings?
When you are making camping dutch oven chicken and dumplings, first you have to start the dumplings! In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk milk and seasonings until blended, adding flour to the mixture.
Getting a rolling boil going, then you drop balls of dough, roughly the size of tablespoonfuls into the soup one at a time. Cook again for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
How to thicken chicken and dumplings?
In order to get thicker and creamier camping dutch oven chicken and dumplings, the easy solution is to simply add some cornstarch! Cornstarch thickens the soup and gives it body.
Whisk a few tablespoons of cornstarch into a separate bowl with cool water until dissolved. Then slowly pour the mixture into soup, stirring. This prevents the starch from clumping and helps it dissolve into the soup evenly.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, shredded or chunked
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 celery ribs sliced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from kettle; bone and cube.
- Return chicken to kettle along with the onion, celery, carrots, celery seed, 1 teaspoon of sage, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine the biscuit mix, milk, parsley and remaining sage to form a stiff batter or use a can of biscuits.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 306mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g