Carrot cake is in my opinion the perfect cake. It’s moist and dense and not so sweet when done right. It’s kind of like perfect zucchini bread but with all the sweet flavor of carrots and little pops of pineapple.
So I got to thinking why do we have zucchini bread and not carrot bread? If we put it in a cupcake and put cream cheese frosting on it I’m pretty sure my grandmother’s zucchini bread would make a rocking cupcake. So last week I set out to test my theory on this carrot bread.
But even simple things these days can escape me. I tried in vain to make this recipe 4 days in a row this past week. 4 DAYS! To the point of having ingredients set out on the counter, carrots grated in a baggie (which ultimately were tossed), and bowls brought in and out of the cupboard more than once.
There is so much going on right now that I am itching to tell you but just can’t…..what I can say is I have never been more excited and more nervous about everything in our life. It’s funny but it seems that any big thing in your life brings these kinds of emotions, good or bad. I want all these good things to happen, but the older I get the more I realize that they too come with added loads of nerves and stresses all their own.
So when I finally realized I was stressing and really needed to be in the kitchen for my own sanity, this lovely bread was finally made. It’s really just slightly less sweet carrot cake in a bread pan…but putting it in a loaf pan and taking it down a notch in sugar totally makes it an acceptable breakfast food.
Is life a bit big right now for you too? I can guarantee that a few minutes shredding, mixing and the smell of this in your house will help. Have it with your morning coffee….or share some laughs and slices with a friend over tea…life’s not so hard when we just remember to embrace the simple things.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour if using whole wheat instead of spelt do 3/4 cup white 3/4 cup whole wheat
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 banana mashed
- Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts coconut, currents, and/or raisins)
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Oil and lightly flour 4 mini loaf pans. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, including options, mix really well and set aside. Combine all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
3. Fold moist ingredients into the dry ones gently and only until everything is damp. Over mixing causes the cake to not raise. Pour into the cake pan, avoid smoothing the top around as much as possible to keep air in the batter.
4. Bake at 325 degrees until a toothpick in center comes out clean and bread is still very moist. About 25 minutes.
5. Cream Cheese Frosting:
6. Mix cream cheese and butter well. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 loaf Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 7781Total Fat: 436gSaturated Fat: 132gTrans Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 273gCholesterol: 1124mgSodium: 6232mgCarbohydrates: 881gFiber: 108gSugar: 378gProtein: 166g