This is my favorite cheesecake recipe….but due to how expensive it is to buy all the cream cheese and how much I don’t need a cheesecake floating around my thighs refrigerator, I have only made this recipe once.
It was a beautiful glorious sight to behold.
This stock photo doesn’t do it justice at all. I will update it when I make it again soon.
But you can imagine it with me:
Here you go:
White dessert plate decorated with chocolate sauce. Gingersnap crust topped with creamy, white, dense, sweet cheesecake. Dollop of homemade whipped cream. Tart, winter blackberries gracing the top and sides.
Or you could just imagine heaven. It would be equivelent.
Without further ado, the recipe:
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 or 5 8-oz packages cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tb flour
- 1 1/2 tsp grated orange rind
- 1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Put crushed gingersnap cookies in mixing bowl. Add sugar.
- Add melted butter.
- Stir or blend together with your hands.
- Press into the pie plate or springform pan (if you want crust only on bottom make sure to grease sides of pan)
- Pre-bake the crust for 8-10 min in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Preheat oven to 550 degrees. (Yes, that's correct!) Put a pot of hot water on to boil.
- Place cream cheese in large mixing bowl. Beat at low speed until packets are combined well.
- Add sugar gradually, beat 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients in order listed. (Add eggs one at a time)
- When smooth, pour into precooked crust pan.
- Place in pre-heated oven. Add a container (pie pan or whatever shallow pan that is oven safe) of boiling water into the oven.
- Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200 degrees. Cook for 50 minutes. DO NOT PEEK AT IT!
- Turn oven off and leave cheesecake in oven (door closed) for thirty minutes.
- Open oven door and let cool an additional thirty minutes in oven.
- Finally, pull out and cool until room temperature (could take several hours) and then put in refrigerator for as long as possible (overnight is best).
- Top with homemade whipped cream, chocolate sauce, or berries. Or if you are like me and believe that if you're going to eat dessert it might as well taste excessively delicious use all three 🙂