We took our sweet honey dinner rolls and created these amazing cranberry white chocolate macadamia hot cross buns. They are perfect for Easter!
I have an admission to make. Before I made these hot cross buns I had actually never had them before. Granted I’m a research nut so I did a ton of reading on them (and totally geeked out on the history of them over on my post on Inspired Home) so I gathered enough to realize that these should be sweet, soft and best served hot.
I think some would argue with me that they shouldn’t maybe be as soft and fluffy as these are but you know what? I had another recipe base that I started with and they were just like a brick in your stomach and tasted horrible the next day. So making my standby sweet and salty honey dinner rolls with a bit more sugar and all these delicious add ins made the perfect combination for me.
I’m sharing more details about the back history of these traditional buns and the full recipe over on Inspired Home so jump on over there and of course, leave me a comment or tag us on Instagram #adventurebite so we can see your amazing creations!
Cranberry White Chocolate Macadamia Hot Cross Buns Recipe
- 1 cup warm milk 110 degrees
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast not instant, I recommend Red Star Yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 eggs whisked
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus extra
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- For the egg wash:
- 1 egg plus 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. For the full recipe please see: http://theinspiredhome.com/articles/cranberry-white-chocolate-macadamia-hot-cross-buns