Homemade turkey gravy is a must have at every Thanksgiving dinner table but it’s also great any time of the year. We keep it simple and classic here for a familiar just like Mom made flavor.
[T]hanksgiving is our favorite holiday of the year. And for good reason! Bring out the fat pats baby!! Rolls and cranberry sauce and beer brined turkey and creamy green beans with caramelized onions. And let’s not forget all.the.pies.
But if there is one thing that solidifies it all. The one thing that I would cry without at the table it’s gotta be gravy. Maybe you are a light gravy kind of person…..it’s okay. We can still be friends. Maybe you are a don’t let anything touch on your plate kind of person….still love ya.
But I can’t lie. I’m a pour the gravy all over just about everything kind of person. Don’t judge.
This recipe is classic gravy, nothing fancy here except good old butter, flour and liquid. Drippings? Check. Boil the gizzards and neck in your stock if thats your thing. But definitely whatever you do…..don’t forget the gravy.
- 2 cups liquid: drippings from turkey homemade turkey stock or chicken stock **
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter until it starts bubbling.
2. Add flour and stir until it looks like coarse sand. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently.
3. With a whisk in hand pour all the liquid in while whisking vigorously until thoroughly combined (about 20 seconds).
4. Cook until thickened to desired thickness, stirring regularly paying attention to scraping the bottom to prevent burning. Gravy will continue to thicken some as it cools. Thin with additional stock while whisking vigorously if it becomes too thick.
5. Season to taste.
**If your turkey was brined the drippings may be very salty. Plan on doubling this recipe to dilute with unsalted stock or use less of the drippings overall.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 721mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 46g