This Carrot cake recipe and Easter go together like eggs and bacon. This cake is wonderfully moist, perfectly spiced and paired perfectly with the delightful homemade cream cheese frosting.
My family is always eagerly anticipating springtime because they know that this carrot cake is on its way.
Our recipe is homemade and full of fantastic flavors and chunks of freshly grated carrot, pineapple, and even banana. You can add raisins, walnuts and shredded coconut for more texture if you want.
Topped with our homemade heavenly vanilla cream cheese frosting, you will never want to eat another carrot cake recipe ever again.
How to make a carrot cake?
We start making this scrumptious cake by adding all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mixing it up. In a medium bowl add the liquid ingredients and mix well, then pour into a greased baking pan.
To make our homemade frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a small bowl until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla; beat until mixed well. Refrigerate the frosting for one hour before using, then it is time to frost your cakes! Top with chopped nuts and enjoy!
Also give our Lavender Honey Posset Dessert a try!
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup white flour
- ¾ cup wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juices
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- ½ banana mashed
- Optional: 1 cup mix-ins or toppings chopped nuts, shredded coconut, currants or raisins
- For the Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup 1 stick salted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees for cake, 365 for cupcakes.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, including options. Mix really well and set aside.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ones slowly and only mix until everything is damp. Over mixing causes the cake to not raise.
- Pour into a well greased 9×11 pan. Avoid smoothing the top around as much as possible to keep air in the batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60 min., insert a tooth pick in center to check doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean it is done and still very moist.
- Pour into greased or lined 8 cupcake pan. Bake at 365 degrees for approximately 18-22 minutes (depending on oven), insert a toothpick in the center to check if it is done. If the toothpick comes out clean it is done and still very moist.
For the Frosting:
- Whip cream cheese until fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Add butter one tablespoon at a time while mixing.
- Add powdered sugar slowly while whisking. Start with 1 cup and add to taste.
- If frosting is lumpy your butter and/or cream cheese was not at room temperature. Warming frosting in microwave and whipping vigorously can help it come back together. Refrigerate for one hour before frosting your cake.
2 thoughts on “Homemade Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting”
Hi there! I am wondering what kind of nuts I may use?
Maria, we used chopped walnuts in the cake batter and we used chopped pecans on the top of our homemade carrot cake recipe.