Making a lattice pie crust is easy and looks so beautiful! Step by step tutorial for making a perfect crust.
If there is something you should know about Kevin it is that the guy LOVES pie. In a crazy heart thumping way that I in my creamy pudding, creme brûlée, moist cake loving way just doesn’t understand. So it’s been a quest of mine since we met to learn how to make really REALLY good pies because….well…the way to a guys heart is through his tummy right?
Basically, this means that my husband falls more in love with me every day when I cook him new things. I love my job!
The first order of business, of course, was to perfect the easy flaky pie crust that makes the base of the perfect pie. And after that topping that pie with a perfect super classy lattice crust, so it looks as good as it tastes, was right up there in my priority list.
Let’s get started. The first order of business is, of course, to roll out the pie crust and cut it into strips using a sharp knife or my favorite a pizza roller!
You will need 10-12 strips depending on how tight you want your lattice to be. I like using 10 strips because it is easier to get the spacing even for me with an odd number of strips (5) going each direction.
Lay out five strips in one direction and fold strip 2 and 4 back over themselves (shown below) then lay your first cross strip over strips 1, 3 and 5. Unfold strips 2 and 4 back to their original position over the top of the new cross strip.
Now fold the opposite pieces back over themselves (1, 3, and 5) and lay the next cross strip down.
*Note: this photo was taken after one entire side had been woven into place already and the pie had been turned.
Continue repeating the alternating strips until you reach the edge of the pie.
Turn the pie 180 degrees and continue the same alternating weave.
Until the entire pie is covered. Trim the excess dough to 1 inch all the way around the pie using kitchen shears.
Finish the edges with your favorite edging. I like to put a simple crimp on the edge of mine by pressing my thumb from one hand in between my thumb and index finger from the opposite hand (photo tutorial of this technique here).
Whisk a whole egg together and using a pastry brush lightly brush the entire crust with the egg wash. Top it with coarse grain sugar to create the perfect crunchy topping.
Big and small alike…
Be sure to check out some of our other posts below for ideas on what to put in your pie crusts!
How To Make A Lattice Pie Crust
- 2 batches of perfect flaky pie crust
- 1 egg
- coarse sugar
- 1. Roll out dough for bottom, place in pan and fill pie crust with filling.
2. Roll out dough for top, cut into 1/2-1 inch strips to your preference.
3. Lay down the first 5 strips in one direction.
4. Fold up strips 2 and 4 and lay down the first cross strip. Replace strips 2 and 4 and lift up strips 1, 3 and 5. Add cross strip.
5. Repeat across entire pie turning when first half is done.
6. Trim edge to 3/4 inch all the way around. Crimp or finish edge to desired finish.
7. Whip egg and brush crust with beaten egg with a pastry brush. Dust with coarse sugar and bake to recipe specifications.