We’ve mashed up two of our favorite holiday dishes to come up with this Pecan Cranberry Pie. It’s sweetened mostly with maple syrup for the perfect sweet finish. Wonderful with vanilla bean ice cream!
Thanksgiving is hands down Kevin’s favorite holiday and if there is anything this man loves most at said holiday….it’s the pies. We’ve discussed his love affair with pie before and my somewhat “meh” feelings about pie. He’s particularly in love with pecan pie which I have always found a little….boring. When we were tasked by our great sponsors to create a twist on a classic Thanksgiving dessert we knew it was time to finally make a pecan pie that I could actually love too.
Compensation was provided by Safeway, Vons, Randalls and Tom Thumb stores via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Safeway, Vons, Randalls and Tom Thumb stores.
We saw these amazing cranberries in Safeway’s produce section and we knew it was the perfect match! And also the perfect match for gobs and gobs of cranberry sauce. I can’t believe I’ve never cooked with cranberries before!
All I have to say is that this pie has forever changed the way I think about pecan pie. Seriously one of the best things I have put in my mouth in a long time.
We replaced most of the sugar in this recipe with maple syrup, which eliminates that sticky, corn syrupy taste that I hate. Instead of a crashing sugar symbol in your head, you get a subtle lingering of sweet followed immediately by a ping from the cranberries. Finish with that roasted nut flavor steeped through the filling and a satisfying “crunch” of the nuts on top.
Let’s not forget about the crust either. We swapped out white flour for a nutty, chewy spelt flour and of course put tons of real butter in it. It’s slightly denser than white flour but not a heavy, chewy crust like many whole wheat crusts can be.
Perfect for this dish.
Now all we need is a good scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream and you are ready to impress your Thanksgiving host with a stunning addition to the dinner table.
Maple Cranberry Pecan Pie
- 1 batch Easy Flaky Pie Crust
- 1 ⁄4 cup salted butter
- 2 cups cranberries
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 ⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons tapioca
- 2 cups pecans 1 cup chopped, 1 cup in halves
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line 9 inch deep dish pie pan with crust and finish edges as desired.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter and add cranberries, maple syrup, brown sugar and tapioca. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until some of the cranberries begin to pop.
- Add chopped pecans, buttermilk and eggs to saucepan being sure to stir quickly and vigorously as you add the eggs. Add vanilla and salt.
- Pour into pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 then reduce heat to 350 and bake 35-50 minutes until filling is firm to the touch.
- Cool completely before serving (at least 5 hours).
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.