These Chimichurri Artichokes are the perfect way to take artichokes to the next level! Our simple 5 minute chimichurri sauce is the secret to all the flavor with no fuss.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with Ocean Mist Farms.
The leaves are falling like crazy here and the bite of frosty mornings has already become the new normal here in Oregon. There’s nothing like fall to make you want to cuddle up and let things roast away in the oven. Artichokes are one of my all time favorite vegetable to do that with. I love that as simple as they are to cook, they just look so fancy.
The secret to this dish is in the super easy, but oh so delicious chimichurri sauce. Chimichurri is an Argentinian sauce that is commonly served with roasted meats. It’s similar to a salsa or a pesto with slightly different flavors.
What I love about chimichurri is that it is so versatile! You can make it thick and chunky (like the linked recipe is) or blend it up even finer with a bit more liquid and end up with a thinner sauce like this:
After you wash and trim your artichoke leaves, spoon the sauce right over each artichoke. We determined after a few tests of this that you can get even more flavor into the artichoke if you trim down the tops a bit more than what we have pictured here. Either way is glorious but you can pack in even more sauce if you open them up just a bit more.
Once you smother them in sauce, simply wrap them individually in foil tightly and into the oven they go! I like to wrap them and then put them all back into the baking dish personally, that way if they drip at all it’s not all over my oven.
These gorgeous artichokes are from Ocean Mist, the largest grower of fresh artichokes in the United States and one of our favorite produce suppliers. Just in case you haven’t heard of them…they have been growing artichokes for over 90 years!
With their various locations, they are able to grow artichokes year-round! ←Be sure to check out that link for some incredible behind the scenes on what goes on at world class production artichoke farms.
Once the artichokes have roasted until the stems are fork tender, cut them into quarters and drizzle on even more chimichurri sauce.
You can easily double the sauce recipe and use it as a dip too, or whip up our easy mayo based dressing. It’s just mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, and a dash of black pepper. But don’t let the simplicity fool you, it’s the perfect compliment to this dish!
Serve them immediately! My favorite way to serve this is alongside a delicious roast or a simple lemon dressed roasted chicken is also lovely. A few loaves of crusty french bread and a bottle of good red wine and you are in business.
I hope you make these soon for your loved ones!
Be sure to visit Ocean Mist‘s website for even more delicious artichoke recipes and tips!
Roasted Chimichurri Artichokes
- 1-2 batches homemade chimichurri sauce
- 6 artichokes stems trimmed to 1 inch, thorns removed with scissors, top trimmed down 1 inch
- 3-4 fresh lemons
- Dipping sauce:
- ½ cup of mayo
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place artichokes stem-side down in a baking dish and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Slightly separate the artichoke leaves with your hands.
- Smother artichokes with chimichurri sauce, opening the leaves to pack more inside, reserve some sauce to top cooked artichokes with (depending on size of your artichokes you may need to whip up another batch of sauce to have enough for topping).
- Tightly wrap each artichoke in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place back in baking dish to catch any leaks.
- Bake in the preheated oven until fork inserts into stem easily, about 1 hour 20 minutes for medium artichokes (note: artichoke cooking time can dramatically vary, start checking at 1 hour).
- Top with extra chimichurri sauce. Serve with dipping sauce or melted butter.
- Excellent with a roast or roasted lemon chicken, french bread, and red wine.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in collaboration with Ocean Mist Farms. Our partners enable us to bring you gorgeous recipe content every week for free!