This sweet cornbread is light and moist and it is 100% refined grain and refined sugar free!! Family approved!
I’ve got a confession to make. I looooove Marie Calendar’s cornbread. I’ve made a knock off version for years with rave reviews (don’t worry I will post it soon too.) But let’s be super honest my hips and my kids don’t need all the refined white flour and white sugar that are packed into them.
I’ve been trying to find a healthier approach that satisfies our craving for this “cornbread cake” as we call it in this house.
And we finally did! These are amazingly moist and tender and sweet. And I feel awesome feeding it to my family on a semi-regular basis. Win-win.
We tested them rigorously and determined that without the refined sugar or drastically increasing the cornmeal (which makes them too dry) they are a little paler in color on the top. Not to worry though we just pop them under the broiler for a minute and give them a little golden color.
These don’t last long around here!
Healthy Sweet Corn Bread Recipe
Scale This Recipe
- 1 1/8 cup spelt flour
- 7/8 cup 3/4+1/8 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients and combine until all ingredients are incorporated. Do not overmix.
3. Pour into greased muffin tins. Fill to 3/4 of each tin. Do not overfill tins.
4. Depending on the size of muffin tins you may have a bit leftover. Bake in a greased ramekin or make a few mini muffins.
5. Bake 15-20 minutes. Longer will result in a slightly less moist result but will have better coloring. If tops do not brown to desired level place under broiler for 1-2 minutes to darken.