These classic Italian cakes are called yogurt carton cakes because all the measurements are multiples of a small yogurt carton. Perfect for making with your kids!
It’s no secret that we love sweet things around here. In fact maybe a bit too much.
I try really hard to keep sugar limited to special occasions but since moving into our new house it seems that just about every day has been a special occasion.
After 10 months without our kitchen setup someone has missed spur of the moment baking. And Noah is right there with me too.
So when he begged to make cupcakes with mommy the other day I couldn’t turn him down.
And with all the wheat grinders, dehydrators, organic this that and the other thing packed away still…..we knocked out a white flour white sugar laden batch of Nigella’s yogurt carton cakes.
And they were glorious. Light and sweet, perfect with a cup of coffee.
Speaking of coffee I’m having to give up this delicious nectar of the gods again. Sob.
I’ve determined that it is the culprit behind the recurring morning racing heart mini panic attacks I’ve been having lately. Not that this is in any way shocking to me. I used to pull all-nighters on a single cup of coffee so the fact that I’ve been drinking a cup a day has been impressive, to say the least.
Thank God for decaf coffee because I’m now hooked on the steaming warm cup every groggy morning.
We are getting new kefir grains soon (since I managed to kill them by my neglect earlier this year.) So it’s possible…..maybe that once our green smoothies are rocking again I’ll be able to skip the coffee.
Until then….decaf reins.
In other news our conex box arrived this past week which means my house is finally some semblance of a normal house. As of last night I can actually see our bedroom’s floor. Hallelujah.
Most of my family think I like being a messy person because let’s be honest….if you looked at my house most days you’d think so too. But honestly I go crazy when stuff is out of place and messy, so rather than freaking out at the whole world 24/7 since I live in a house with 2 baby boys, 1 dog, 1 cat and 50 billion pounds of dirt being tracked in and out every day…..I hide my head in the ground and pretend it doesn’t exist.
Not such a good plan turns out.
Last night my floors were scrubbed, my laundry was done, my dishes were (mostly) done, and I could actually breathe.
Without further ado, I’m off to more unpacking and organizing, because this feeling is like crack.
Except tomorrow watching Hulu with my hubby will also feel like crack. Sooo….take it while it comes right?
I’m still figuring out this dance with house and babies and working. Maybe one day I’ll master it.
My hope is that at the end of the day….the people in my house know that they are the most important things in it. That I’ll stop the craziness to make cupcakes and drink a cup of coffee with them (decaf of course).
Yogurt Carton Cakes
- 2/3 cup plain whole-milk yogurt, 1-6 oz yogurt container
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil, 1-6 oz yogurt container
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cup sugar, little less than 2-6 oz yogurt containers
- 2 capfuls vanilla extract
- Zest of 1/2 unwaxed washed lemon
- 1 1/3 cups flour, 2-6 oz yogurt containers
- 2/3 cup cornstarch, 1-6 oz yogurt container **see note
- Powdered sugar, to dust top of cakes with
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cupcake pans with non-stick spray.
2. Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks.
3. Add yogurt to egg yolks and rinse and dry carton to use it to measure other ingredients.
4. Start with sugar. Whisk the yolks and sugar together until light and airy.
5. Beat egg yolks and sugar while you pour in the vegetable oil. Add vanilla and zest.
6. Continue beating mixture and add flour and cornstarch (if using).
7. Add egg whites to the mixture using a rubber spatula to fold them into the batter gently.
8. Pour into cupcake pans bringing batter almost to the top of each cup.
9. Bake 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and they are pulling away from sides.
10. Allow to cool 10 minutes, then dust with powdered sugar and serve warm.
3 thoughts on “Yogurt Carton Cakes”
Awe, that’s so cute that these are called yogurt carton cakes! Adorable pictures with your kids 🙂
Is that flour that doesn’t say what it is??? Never heard of these.
Indeed Charlotte! That’s what I get for no coffee today 😉 Thanks for the catch!!