These easy hummus falafels use just 5 ingredients….premade hummus, canned white beans, flour, cilantro and bread crumbs. Super easy and fast!
This post is sponsored by Sabra. Partnering with companies allows us to bring more unique free content to you!
I am actually pretty convinced that I have Sabra’s hummus to thank for sustaining my life the first two months we moved back home to Oregon. We were launching the Blog Buddy day planner, finalizing all our move details, chasing two kids, job searching and trying to figure out how to live with our family without anyone killing each other.
In the midst of that our two year old decided that hummus was the one thing he would always eat. Many a lunch for him and I consisted of vegetable chips, real veggies, chips, hummus and milk. So when I got a chance to work with Sabra you can imagine my excitement!
I considered just sharing a stack of empty hummus containers and advising you to eat it 24/7 with whatever you can scrounge up in your cabinets, but when I made falafels for the first time the other day I knew this was the perfect thing to share….and probably more appropriate 😉
We start with smothering baguette buns with hummus and toasting them in the oven. If you want to be finished right here I wouldn’t judge.
But these easy hummus falafels are really worth it if you have the self control to resist for just a few minutes. They are light and crispy on the exterior and still full of all that amazing olive flavor from the olive tapenade hummus. You can of course use any flavor of hummus that you prefer.
And all it takes is a can of white beans, some flour, cilantro and a few pulses of your food processor to get the prep done.
Roll them in breadcrumbs, a few minutes getting toasty in a hot pan with olive oil and we are finished!
I like to pile mine high with cilantro, cucumbers, tomatoes and arugula…and maybe just a smidge more hummus. But you do what you think is right. Layering the hummus with some tzatziki sauce would totally work here too.
No matter how you fix it this is a perfect lunch or dinner for anytime of the year! Bonus: you can totally feed this to your vegetarian friends or party it up on Meatless Mondays with this one.
Hummus & Falafel Sandwich
- 1 container Sabra Olive Tapenade Hummus divided
- 1 15 oz can white beans, well drained
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Breadcrumbs for dredging
- Olive Oil
- Olive Tapenade Hummus
- 4 Buns
- 1. Slice buns and spread each one with a generous layer of hummus. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Add remaining hummus to a food processor along with drained beans, flour, and cilantro. Pulse until combined.
3. The texture should be paste-like and hold together into a shape to be breaded. Depending on the moisture content of your beans you may need to increase flour to reach this consistency.
4. Place large balls of mixture into breadcrumbs and press down to form flattened balls or full-size patties for sandwiches.
5. Heat olive oil over medium heat until sizzling. Add falafels to olive oil and cook until browned on both sides and heated through (about 4 minutes per side).
6. Toast buns with hummus on them in oven or toaster oven until warm.
7. Assemble sandwiches with falafels, cilantro leaves, tomatoes, cucumbers, and arugula.
Be sure to show our good friends over at Sabra some love by sharing this post and grabbing a few containers of their hummus the next time you head to the store!