Make this Italian Wedding Soup Recipe with fresh or frozen meatballs any time of the year.
This wonderful and easy to make Italian Wedding soup recipe make the best dinner. It’s what easy family dinners are made of! Soups and cold weather just go together in my mind. This recipe is super easy to make and everyone in my house loves a good soup. Soup always makes me feel warm all over and has the power to warm me up to my core on a chilly day.
I hope you’re a fan of meatballs because this soup is full of them! Each one has been browned to perfection and then cooked in a delicious broth that brings out the juiciness of the meatballs. The best comfort food recipe ever!!! Get yourself some amazing fresh and crusty bread to pair with this soup, yum!
I didn’t grow up eating this wonderful soup recipe or even attempt to make it until now, because I have always thought that it would be complicated to make. Oh was I so wrong!
Because let’s face it anything that has to do with a wedding just has to be complicated, because weddings are always complicated right? Don’t get me wrong we love a wedding but let’s be realistic, when a bunch of family members get together they can tend to make everything a little more complicated!
Thankfully this soup is not complicated at all. In fact, I found it very easy to make and even easier to eat. I can eat about four bowls, not trying to brag here, just stating facts. The recipe is so uncomplicated that they should call it “Tinder Soup” not wedding soup, LOL. So let’s get down to the business of this recipe.
What is Italian wedding soup made of?
Italian wedding soup consists of delicious fresh fall vegetables. Bright orange and dark green vegetables are the best parts of fall dishes. Then there are these amazing meatballs that are the perfect size and consistency to melt in your mouth, filled with cheese and delightful Italian flavors. If you have never tried this soup before you’re in for a real treat, it’s comfort food at it’s finest! We top this soup with fresh chopped parsley and shredded parmesan cheese.
Why is it called Italian wedding soup?
This recipe has been called wedding soup because of the combination of or “marriage” of all the greens and meats. It’s also easy to make and feed a large party or wedding with this recipe. Making this recipe ahead of time allows for better flavor. Much like homemade spaghetti sauce, it is always better after 24 hours.
What goes with Italian wedding soup?
Enjoy your Italian wedding soup with green salads, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables and any kind of bread or rolls.
Does Italian wedding soup freeze well?
Yes! This soup is a great soup recipe to freeze. You can always make an extra-large batch so you can store it in the freezer, just be sure that you allow the soup to cool completely before freezing. Don’t forget to leave some room at the top of the container for the soup to expand.
Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- 5 14.5 oz cαns low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cups cαrrots, diced
- 1 cups yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 4 or 1 1/2 Tbsp cloves gαrlic, minced
- 1 cup dry acini de Pepe or orzo pasta
- 1 bunch or 6 ozs fresh kale, chopped
- 8 oz leαn ground beef or lamb
- 8 oz ground pork
- 1/2 cup fresh heαrty white breαd crumbs*
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh pαrsley
- 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh oregαno
- 1/2 cup finely shredded pαrmesαn
- 1 lαrge egg
- Sαlt αnd freshly ground blαck pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Finely shredded pαrmesαn, for serving
- Salt and pepper, for taste
- Pαrsley, chopped for topping
- 1. Over medium heat fill a large stockpot with the chicken stock.
- 2. Add carrots, onions, celery and, garlic to the pot.
- 3. Cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- 4. To make the meatballs get a large-sized mixing bowl and add bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, parmesan, egg and, salt and pepper and mix together.
- 5. Then add ground beef and ground pork to the bowl and mix well.
- 6. Roll ½ sized meatballs.
- 7. In a large-sized skillet add oil over medium-high heat.
- 8. Add meatballs and cook until slightly browned.
- 9. Add cooked meatballs to stockpot full of vegetables and broth.
- 10. Add noodles and kale.
- 11. Allow simmering for 15 minutes.
- 12. Add fresh parmesan and enjoy!
Try these other amazing soups this week.
Curry Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Sausage Potato Leek Soup Recipe
Roasted Tomato Sausage Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons Recipe