Jalapeno popper turnovers are the perfect easy appetizer recipe! The cheesy filling is mixed with bacon and jalapeño and then wrapped in store bought puff pastry. I always get asked for the recipe!
This post is part of our continued collaboration with Sabra.
Some days are for celebrations. Some days are for jumping up and down with excitement and grinning from ear to ear. Some days are for picking yourself up again and dusting yourself off again and pushing forward. And some days still are for curling up in bed and having a good cry. And some weeks each day can be one of those in rapid repeat fire order.
It’s been an incredibly packed last few weeks on our front. I may write about some of the events that have transpired these past few weeks and I may not. Some things are just best left on their own instead of sharing with the world.
But what cannot wait to be shared with the world are these jalapeno popper turnovers! This is basically my favorite appetizer ever (bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers) mashed up in a creamy cheesy mixture and wrapped in a warm pillow of light crunchy cheese baked goodness.
The filling consists of bacon, jalapeños, cheese, cream cheese and get this….roasted garlic hummus. The combination of the cream cheese and hummus is amazing and adds just the right consistency. Creamy, smooth, cheesy, spicy and bacon…it’s basically heaven. And so easy.
I’ll just leave this picture right here. Swoon.
Let’s jump in shall we.
Allow your puff pastry to thaw! Seriously I forget this every time. About an hour on the counter or just pull it out the day before and pop it in the fridge.
While that is going start your filling: Fry some bacon. Chop some jalapeños. Mix with warmed cream cheese and roasted garlic hummus. Salt and pepper. So simple.
Roll out your sheets of puff pastry to twice its size with a lightly floured rolling pin. And cut it into 18 equal pieces (9 per sheet–most boxes have 2 sheets).
Top each turnover with a heaping spoonful of filling and sprinkling of cheese.
Whisk an egg well and brush on the egg around all edges. Fold over and crimp with a fork.
Air vents are sliced to allow steam to escape.
Egg wash the tops and top with a sprinkling of cheese and a jalapeno slice.
Bake for 22 minutes until golden and delicious.
The celebration is ready to begin!
Looking for more amazing appetizers?
Check out our roundup of 101 Party Food Ideas and whip up something delicious!
Jalapeno Popper Turnovers Recipe
- 1 17 ounce package puff pastry, thawed
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 large jalapeños , diced and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg , for egg wash
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the filling: warm cream cheese in the microwave for 30-40 seconds until it is easily stirred.
- Add hummus, bacon, jalapeños and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly dust your surface. Roll out both sheets of puff pastry to twice its size with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Cut into 18 equal pieces (9 per sheet–most boxes have 2 sheets).
- Top each turnover with a heaping spoonful of filling and sprinkling of cheese.
- Whisk egg well and use a pastry brush to brush the egg around all edges of each pastry square. Fold over and crimp with a fork.
- Slice 2-3 air vents per turnover to allow steam to escape.
- Egg wash the tops and top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and a very thin jalapeño slice.
- Bake for 22 minutes until golden and delicious.
Top can be brushed with butter, milk or olive oil to aid in browning if desired or left plain. Disclosure: This post is brought to you in collaboration with Sabra. We hand select our sponsors and only partner with companies we already use, love and trust. We are grateful for their support to continue bringing you beautiful free content each week!
Disclosure: This post is brought to you in collaboration with Sabra. We hand select our sponsors and only partner with companies we already use, love and trust. We are grateful for their support to continue bringing you beautiful free content each week!