These Jamaican Black Bean Burger with Mango Jicama Slaw are an easy vegetarian bbq recipe that also makes a delicious & easy camping recipe! The meat eaters in my family devour them happily too!
This post was brought to you in collaboration with the National Frozen and Refrigerated Foods Association. We are grateful to our sponsors who allow us to bring you beautiful free content every week!
Summertime is camping time, and the best part of camping in my opinion? The food! We absolutely love packing up our little trailer and heading out with the kids for the weekend or a long week in the Oregon woods. That first night getting in is always a bit of a scramble, so I like to keep it super simple and easy that night.
These spicy black bean burgers are perfect for that! They come frozen from MorningStar Farms so you want to use them up the first night or two so they stay in top shape. Starting off your trip with plenty of items from the freezer section is perfect because it helps keep your cooler nice and cold so your ice can last as long as possible!
Pro camping tip: toss a bath towel into the top of your cooler if you have extra space in it. It helps push the air out and keeps your food insulated longer!
We pop up the camp stove and break these guys out. They cook up in just a few minutes and the jamaican sauce is just brushed onto them after they spend a few minutes in a smoking hot cast iron pan. I love their flavor and texture, and I can get them on the grill and going without any extra fuss on a busy night!
You can use any of your favorite jerk sauces that you find at your grocery store for these black bean burgers, or whip up a batch of our homemade jerk bbq sauce at home before you head out!
Crisp up your buns in the pan and serve them with our super simple mango jicama slaw. It throws together easily out at camp. We like to make it with the pre-cut jicama sticks, broccoli slaw and mango chunks that you buy in the grab and go refrigerated produce section at the store. You can also use chunks of pineapple in the slaw in equal portions to replace the mango!
The perfect easy, simple and absolutely drippy delicious black bean burger.
Jamaican Black Bean Burger with Mango Jicama Slaw
- 4 MorningStar Farms spicy black bean burgers
- ½ cup store bought or homemade jerk sauce plus more to serve
Mango Jicama Slaw:
- 1 container broccoli slaw available near the bagged salads
- 1 cup thinly sliced jicama
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Coarse black pepper and salt to taste
- Serve with: additional sauce buns, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
- Preheat non-stick skillet over MEDIUM heat.
- Lightly spray skillet with cooking oil and place frozen burgers in skillet.
- Cook burgers for 5-6 minutes, turning burgers over occasionally.
- Baste with jerk sauce and cook 1-2 additional minutes.
- Toss slaw ingredients together.
- Serve with mango jicama slaw and extra sauce.