This Camping Mac and Cheese with Kielbasa is a total crowd pleaser. Our secret ingredients make it SO much easier to cook in the woods!
This camping mac ‘n cheese with kielbasa recipe is guaranteed to make the kids and adults happy campers this summer!
My favorite camping recipes are the ones that that are incredibly simple to whip up but taste absolutely amazing. This one is on point for that and with 2 secret ingredient hacks it is WAY easier to make than a normal homemade mac and cheese.
This recipe is one of my kids all time favorite and an easy one to help you create the best camping memories!
How to make camping mac n cheese?
Mac ‘n cheese recipes are usually pretty simple but this one is made even easier for the woods by utilizing 2 secret hacks…a jarred Alfredo sauce and a mixed cheese blend. No fussy cheese sauces here!
Any cheese blend will work but we like to grab one that has a mix of cheddar and mozzarella plus usually one other cheese. Pizza blend, mexican cheese blend or anything similar will do the trick.
To assemble simply cook your elbow noodles to al dente at home or at camp and drain them well. Then add the jarred sauce and the shredded cheese blend to taste (we like between 1 1/2-2 1/2 cups). Stir until sauce is warmed and cheese is melted. Add a bit of milk to thin everything out and let her get nice and toasty.
We love ours with crispy kielbasa slices in it but you could also use bacon, hot dogs or any leftover meat you have from other recipes! I like to toss on a few sliced green onions for color and to add an extra pop of flavor and a few red pepper flakes to bump up the heat (skip that for most kiddos)!
What to eat with camping mac ‘n’ cheese?
While my children and boyfriend would passionately argue that mac and cheese doesn’t need anything served with it, you and I both may disagree haha.
A fresh salad, crunchy coleslaw or quick roasted veggie side dish (broccoli and carrots are family favorites) all pair lovely with this dish. It’s rich and decadent so pairing it with something lighter is my preference. A big can of warm baked beans and a platter of cold watermelon also works perfect to round it out into a bigger spread.
- 1 package (12-16 ounces) kielbasa, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 1 1/2 cups dry elbow macaroni noodles
- 8-10 oz jarred Alfredo sauce (about 3/4 of a 15 ounce jar)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese blend (cheddar and mozzarella, pizza blend or mexican cheese blend)
- 1/4-1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron skillet or dutch oven, cook kielbasa. Drain excess fat and set aside.
- In a separate pot cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. You can also prepare noodles at home. Shock them with cold water to stop the cooking process and store them in a ziplock bag in the cooler.
- Add noodles, Alfredo sauce, cheese and slowly add milk to create a sauce (start with 1/4 cup and add more if needed). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat on a grate over campfire coals for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove from fire and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 1066mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g