This simple batter is made with whole wheat flour and no artificial sugar to forms the base for these beautiful Meyer lemon poppyseed pancakes. Light and sweet with just the right bit of crunch.
These pancakes are such a fun treat for adults and kids alike. Noah can’t stand waiting for them and so he helps me each step of the way to stay distracted. Mommy’s lemon squeezer is the best toy in the land so when he gets a chance he is the official lemon squeezer.
Saturday mornings are the best day of the week. Usually because daddy gets up and tackles breakfast while mommy watches and sips coffee and talks to him. And sometimes…I even clean the kitchen up too.
I try to explain to Kevin that he can only have so many great qualities in a wife…beautiful, good cook, funny, great photo taker-er. All that and keeping the house clean might just…you know…be asking too much.
But let’s be honest. All that Bob’s Red Mill Flour did NOT make it into the bowl. And a 3 year old and lemon juice? Well…I’m not sure I could ever mop the floors frequently enough to keep up with these two.
One of these days I will keep the house perfectly clean. But that day may be the day both our children move out.
Until then…I plan on keeping on with making too many dishes, chasing my babies and whipping around my house like tasmanian devil when I have the time to clean it all up.
Meyer Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or spelt flour we love Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda we use Clabber Girl
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest chopped finely
- maple syrup or vanilla syrup
- 1. Preheat griddle.
2. Combine dry ingredients and whisk together to incorporate leavening evenly.
3. Melt butter and honey together, stirring until honey is fully combined.
4. Combine wet ingredients (including zest) and combine with dry ingredients.
5. Immediately begin cooking on a hot griddle until browned on both sides.
- 1/3 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. Place butter, syrup and milk in a medium-sized pot (it will fizz up so you need a bigger pot than just the ingredients warrant).
2. Heat over medium heat stirring, until butter melts. Bring to a boil and boil one minute.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla, lemon juice and finally baking soda. It will fizz up, continue to stir it for a few moments and let it sit for a moment to reduce the bubbles before serving.
7 thoughts on “Meyer Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes with Vanilla Syrup”
Well, most men would happily settle for meals like this then a clean house 🙂
Simply wonderful! A clean house is highly overrated.
And almost impossible to achieve for more than 3 seconds with these guys haha!
Lemon poppyseed is one of my favorites! And I love how wholesome your ingredients are <3
Looks like he enjoyed the lemon squeezer 🙂 And the pancakes are lovely! It’s the perfect breakfast for me. I love meyer lemon because of the flavor it gives out and the wonderful scent it provides. I’m loving these pancakes!
These look amazing! Adding to my breakfast-to-try recipe list! And totally hear you on the mess with the kids cooking. It’s enough to make me not want to include them, but it’s so good for them and they love it!