Fermented foods taste amazing and many of them are fabulous for your health! There are so many different kinds of fermented food recipes that you can find something for everyone!
We love making fermented foods! If you persevere through a few trial and errors I guarantee you will be able to find something fermented to match everyone in the families tastes and get some of that awesome probiotic goodness in your life!
Here are a few we have done and lots that are on our “must try” list.
Update: We realized after publishing this that not all of these foods are technically “fermented foods” since some do not actually utilize yeast or bacteria, some are technically cured and pickled instead of fermented. We’ve left it as is since we still are in love with them all and can’t wait to try them!
Be sure to check out our Fermentation Pinterest board for more inspiration!
1. How To Make Kefir
This cultured dairy product is made at home and our #1 recommended fermented foods for beginners. It requires no special equipment and the grains continue to live indefinitely in plain old regular milk.
2. Sweet & Tangy Pickled Banana Peppers
One of our most popular post on the blog. This brine is so easy to whip together and makes the perfect sweet and salty pickled banana pepper or refrigerator pickles!
3. How To Make Preserved Lemons
Preserved lemons are amazing at adding a special something to an ordinary dinner. They also only take 2 ingredients to make! Lemons, salt and time are all you need to make this delicious ingredient.
4. Frozen Lemon Kefir With Blackberry Coulis from Gourmande In The Kitchen
Turn your homemade kefir into a delicious and healthy frozen treat!
5. Learn How To Make Hard Cider!
My husband is a professional brewer and he takes you step by step through brewing your very own batch of hard cider at home.
6. Fermented Salsa from Tasty Yummies
This is a great way to use up a glut of tomatoes from your garden and add some fermented goodness to your diet! A great way to get more fermented foods in your family without complaints!
7. Fermented Watermelon Radishes from Homemade Mommy
Aren’t these just gorgeous?? I have been dying to grown watermelon radishes and just have to plant some this spring.
8. Learn How To Make Sauerkraut
A great tutorial on small batch sauerkraut making at home!
9. Zucchini Pickles & Relish
Do you find yourself overwhelmed with zucchini in the summer? I do too! This post needs some new pictures but the recipes are tried and true family classics!
10. Sprouted Sourdough Bread from Golubka Kitchen
This is a fantastic basic sprouted sourdough bread recipe and would be a great introduction to the art of sourdough baking!
11. How To Make Water Kefir from Delicious Obsessions
Love soda but know you need to kick the habit? Try Water Kefir! It’s delicious, full of probiotics and so much better for you than soda!
12. Beet Kvass from Nourished Kitchen
This drink is valuable for its medicinal qualities and as a digestive aid. Beets are just loaded with nutrients. One 4-ounce glass, morning and night, is an excellent blood tonic, cleanses the liver and is a good treatment for kidney stones and other ailments.
13. Spicy Pickled Eggs from The Fresh Exchange
My husband is obsessed with pickled eggs and has been dying for me to try my hand at them at home. These spicy ones sound perfect!
14. Quick Refrigerator Dill Pickles from A Couple Cooks
These quick pickles sound like the perfect intro to fermentation! No canning needed just pop them in the fridge!
15. Easy Pickled Vegetables from Averie Cooks
Don’t let cucumbers take all the glory! Any crunchy vegetable can be pickled into something delicious.
16. Pickled Red Onions from Use Real Butter
I NEED these. Smother your tacos and sandwiches with these tangy delicacies.
17. Pickled Jalapeños from Liv Life
Need a spicy kick? Try some of these to get your senses rumbling again!
18. Meyer Lemon Liquor from Eat Boutique
This liquor is aged to perfection and would be perfect for gifting!
19. How To Make Yogurt At Home from The Kitchen
Making yogurt at home is a fun activity to try out! Kids love waking up and discovering the yogurt!
20. Whole Wheat Sourdough Tortillas from The Prairie Homestead
It’s really hard to find a good whole wheat tortilla but I love all of The Prairie Homestead’s recipes so you know this has to be good!
21. Kefir Bread from Baker’s Corner
Grab your leftover kefir and make yourself some tasty bread!
22. Honey & Saffron Liquor from Eat Boutique
A beautifully aged liquor that would be perfect for a party!
23. Berry Lemonade Kombucha
Kombucha is an amazing probiotic packed drink! My kids call it oooocha and are OBSESSED with the stuff. This berry lemonade version sounds right up their alley.
24. Homemade Ginger Ale
I live on ginger ale every time I am pregnant and this homemade version will definitely have to happen if we ever have another baby!
25. Fermented Plum Brandy from Fresh Bites Daily
This fermented brandy looks like it would taste amazing!
26. How To Make Fermented Ketchup from A Girl Worth Saving
Ketchup is still my number 1 downfall when it comes to condiments. I can’t wait to try this fermented version!
27. Chocolate Stout Beer from Love and Olive Oil
My all-time favorite beer! I am a chocolate stout kind of girl and this recipe looks like perfection.
28. Greek Yogurt Cheese from Taste Love and Nourish
Who knew you could make cheese out of greek yogurt? How genius!
29. Sima: Finnish Fermented Lemonade from Ever In Transit
This sounds like it would be so amazing. Fermented lemonade? Yes yes yes.
30. Mom’s Kimchi from Esther and Jacob
These fermented foods are sure to keep your system full of healthy probiotics!
31. Sweet Hot Pickled Peaches from Better Homes and Gardens
32. Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables from Use Real Butter
33. Plum Wine from And Here We Are
34. Homemade Pickled Ginger from My Darling Lemon Thyme
35. Pickled Garlic & Red Bell Pepper from Chef Chuck’s Cucina
36. Homemade Salted Cured Olives
37. Fermented Jam from GNOWFGLINS
38. Homemade Pickled Beets from Foodie Crush
39. Pickled Avocados from Lafuji Mama
40. How To Make Kombucha At Home from The Kitchen
41. Ice Cream Kombucha Floats from The Nourishing Gourmet
The healthy root beer float alternative! My boys would go nuts for these.
42. Probiotic Arnold Palmer from Culinary Covers
A healthy version of the classic? Heck yes! I’ll take a double shot in mine most days!
11 thoughts on “52 Fermented Foods List and Recipes”
Some of these just link to Flickr photos and no recipes. Where are the recipes, like the kvass or sprouted sourdough bread?
Thank you, for bringing this issue to your attention. The post has been repaired. Happy cooking!
This is such a great list! I really want to try the kefir ice cream- that sounds amazing. I’ve tried kefir waffles before and they were delicious! I love how many culinary options fermented foods provide.
Thanks for sharing my sima fermented lemonade recipe! Cool to find it here–did you notice your pin was featured in Pinterest’s list of top 100 ideas for 2016? Here it is: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/424605071099577557/
What a killer list. I am slowly working my way through it and I have to say, fermented avocado just sounds so weird and terrible! It does’nt get brown and over;y mushy? What’s the flavor like?
We’ve never done them personally but that post I linked to made them sound awesome! I think the acid keeps them from turning brown kind of like lemon juice to an apple and she’s doing them pretty firm not completely ripe. It’s totally on my list to try, now to find me someone who wants to ship me a whole box of avocados haha!
thanks so much for the link love! 🙂 I just love anything pickled. This is such a great roundup of fermented foods. I definitely need to try experimenting more!
I am tempted to try them all…what a wonderful collection of recipes. I would love to ferment food. Thank you for all the recipe inspiration. xo, Catherine
Love this healthy and yummy roundup! You’ve presented them so beautifully! Thanks so much for sharing my link! Pinning now!