This butter chicken recipe is easier to make than authentic butter chicken because your Instant Pot will handle all of the work for you. Get ready to enjoy an easy chicken dinner with an authentic Indian flavor.
Buttered chicken is one of my families favorite dinners. We love all the delicious buttery chicken flavors. Ultimate winter comfort food meal. I live where it snows every year and that means I get cold walking from the car to my front door. This buttered chicken recipe smells so good and warms me up in a jiffy.
Are butter chicken and tikka masala the same?
There are so few differences between a butter chicken recipe and chicken tikka masala that the names are often interchanged.
However, one big difference lies in the origin of the recipes. Butter chicken is an authentic Indian recipe, as is chicken tikka, but chicken tikka masala is a British dish. It is said that the British added the masala sauce to fill their desire to have a sauce with their meat.
How do you make the butter chicken recipe in an Instant Pot?
Making this butter chicken recipe is quick and easy. Chicken breast pieces and vegetables are sauteed until soft, then ingredients for a flavorful curry sauce are added. The entire dish cooks under pressure in the Instant Pot for 30 minutes.
Easy Instant Pot Recipes
If you like the butter chicken recipe, you should try these other easy Instant Pot recipes, too!
- 4 Chicken Breasts or Thighs
- 5 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom
- 1 whole Lime Juiced
- 1 whole Onion Diced
- 1/4 cups Butter
- 1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 pint Heavy Cream or 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bunch Chopped Cilantro to taste
- 2 cups brown rice
1. If using chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces. If using thighs, keep whole. Combine chicken, spices and lime together and marinate for at least 10 minutes but up to overnight.
2. Saute the onion in the butter until soft.
Add marinated chicken, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
3. Cook for 15 minutes on high pressure or 20 minutes on medium heat on stovetop in a large nonstick pan, if you do not have a pressure cooker. Stir regularly if cooking on stovetop.
4. If using chicken thighs, remove from sauce and debone/remove skin and shred chicken. Return to pan.
5. Remove from heat and add the heavy cream or coconut milk (half and half can work but can also separate so use at your own risk haha).
6. Top with cilantro just before serving over Basmati rice. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 552Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 154mgSodium: 457mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g