This Easy Chicken Stir Fry is the perfect easy weeknight dinner! Our easy homemade teriyaki sauce tastes just like take out!
Life with 3 kids under 6 is (not gonna lie) kind of insane right now ha! Getting dinner on the table each night even with food being my career is still a struggle. But having an arsenal of quick dinner recipes up my sleeve is the saving grace to making dinner happen at least most of the time! Pizza and cereal are also totally legit options that happen here too though lest you think I have this all under control constantly haha.
This easy chicken stir-fry is one of my go-to recipes. Honestly, you get to the point that you don’t even really need a stir-fry recipe, you can just whip it together! I use my famous easy teriyaki sauce recipe and it all comes together in no time at all!
The secret to making really good stir fry really lies in using good fresh ingredients. You totally CAN make stir fry with frozen veggies…but it’s never going to be as good as using fresh ones. So if you can swing it just spend the extra 5 minutes and prep the veggies fresh. Grabbing pre-chopped stir fry veggies in the salad section is a quick way to achieve this too!
Once you get your stir fry sauce going and your rice cooking (I like to use my instant pot!) get your wok going super hot. We want to start with cooking off the chicken really quickly. It only takes a few minutes to get this done so don’t get distracted!
Remove the chicken and cook up your veggies quickly. We are talking just a few minutes here, you want them to be just al dente so that they don’t fall apart on you.
I love using a variety of colors and textures to keep it fresh and vibrant! Look at all those beautiful colors (my mama’s brain gets happy with all the nutrients that I know I am sneaking into them with this dish haha)!
The kids like to get in on the action too and make up their own stir fry recipe. Picking out all the different vegetables together at the store and letting them help toss them into the pan with me really helps encourage them to eat it when it makes it to the table. Because let’s be real here, there is nothing worse than cooking a great dinner and having everyone whine about it (can I get an amen?!).
Once the veggies are done then just add the chicken back in and the sauce! Noodles are also a great option too instead of rice. I like to add them here and get them nice and hot with everything! You will want to cook them separate first and then toss them in right here at the end just to finish them off.
I hope you make this chicken stir fry for your family soon!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 lb chicken, chopped in bite size chunks
- Salt and pepper for taste
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, julienned or shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup snow peas
- Serve with steamed rice or noodles
- Garnish with roasted sesame seeds and green onions
- Make your sauce if you are making one from scratch and allow to simmer while you assemble stir fry.
- Heat coconut oil in wok over high heat until very hot.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken quickly in wok until cooked through. Set aside.
- Return wok to high heat and add another bit of coconut oil.
- Add in veggies and cook for 3-4 minutes until just al dente tossing frequently.
- If using store bought sauce: remove veggies and add sauce to wok to warm. Then return veggies, chicken and noodles (if using) to pan and cook 2 additional minutes.
- If using homemade sauce: leave veggies in wok and add chicken, sauce and noodles (if using) to pan and cook 2 additional minutes.
- If not using noodles, serve over rice.
- Top with roasted sesame seeds and green onions. Serve immediately!