This easy poached egg and avocado toast takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish! A healthy whole food breakfast to start your day right!
Simple is the best sometimes. Make that most of the times.
There is something about simple that is so elegant and fabulous….and in the case of this dish…delicious too.
Once you have perfect poached eggs the absolute most logical thing is to cover a piece of toast with smashed avocado and greens and sit down to a steaming cup of coffee. Heaven.
Where is my book? And can someone bring me a cocktail after this? I’m ready for an easy saturday morning with nothing to do and no one to see. This breakfast, a leisurely walk with the family and maybe a nap and a bubble bath. Sign me up.
My children have been gobbling up poached egg and avocado toast since they were little guys. Turns out it’s incredible amounts of fun to smear runny yolk everywhere like finger paint.
We go through breakfast cycles in this house where we eat this everyday for a week….and sometimes for lunch too. Because sometimes you just need beautiful simple food that feeds your tummy and your soul.
And sometimes it’s the only thing the kids will eat willingly. Or there is nothing else in the cupboards because I’ve recipe tested all week and don’t want to go grocery shopping again. There’s that too.
It’s just impressive enough that it feels like you made a special breakfast but it’s seriously so simple you can whip it up in under 10 minutes! It really is the ultimate “no recipe” recipe once you learn to poach eggs.
Don’t know how to poach eggs? Gotcha covered.
I used to HATE poaching eggs. In culinary school we poached hundreds of eggs trying to perfect the art and I gotta tell you…I kind of sucked at it.
I decided to give it a go a few years back and after some serious experimentation I settled into an easy simple routine that turns out beautiful eggs every single time.
I’ve included directions below but I’ll be back tomorrow to share all my tips in the launch of our brand new YouTube channel so be sure to come back and check it out!
Poached Egg And Avocado Toast
- 2 very fresh eggs
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (any kind works)
- 2 pieces sprouted or whole grain bread
- 1 avocado
- handful of greens (spinach/chard/arugula etc)
- salt and pepper
- drizzle of balsamic reduction
- Bring a non-stick saucepan full of water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar to a full boil under a lid.
- Break eggs carefully into individual ramekins.
- Turn off heat and immediately add eggs gently. Allow the water to pool into the ramekin and jiggle the cup slightly to let it start to set the egg, then pour out into the pan. Replace lid.
- Set timer for 3-4 minutes for runny eggs, 4-5 minutes for medium. Do not lift lid!
- While they are poaching toast the bread.
- Smash avocado and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon remove poached eggs to a paper towel to drain momentarily. If they are a little underdone to your liking leave in water for another minute or two. (Your locations altitude can affect this timing a bit as water boils at a lower temperature the higher your elevation. The higher your elevation the cooler your water is and thus the longer it will take for them to be finished cooking.)
- Top toast with avocado, a handful of greens, poached egg and a pinch more of salt and pepper. Add a drizzle of balsamic reduction if desired